Catholics for Kerry

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Debate #3 Kerry Sum-Up

We're all God's children

And as President Kennedy said when he ran for president, he said, "I'm not running to be a Catholic president. I'm running to be a president who happens to be Catholic."

My faith affects everything that I do, in truth. There's a great passage of the Bible that says, "What does it mean, my brother, to say you have faith if there are no deeds? Faith without works is dead."


And I think that everything you do in public life has to be guided by your faith, affected by your faith, but without transferring it in any official way to other people.

That's why I fight against poverty. That's why I fight to clean up the environment and protect this earth.

That's why I fight for equality and justice. All of those things come out of that fundamental teaching and belief of faith.

But I know this, that President Kennedy in his inaugural address told all of us that here on Earth, God's work must truly be our own. And that's what we have to -- I think that's the test of public service.


Everything is a gift from the Almighty. And as I measure the words of the Bible -- and we all do; different people measure different things -- the Koran, the Torah, or, you know, Native Americans who gave me a blessing the other day had their own special sense of connectedness to a higher being. And people all find their ways to express it.

I was taught -- I went to a church school and I was taught that the two greatest commandments are: Love the Lord, your God, with all your mind, your body and your soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. And frankly, I think we have a lot more loving of our neighbor to do in this country and on this planet.

We have a separate and unequal school system in the United States of America. There's one for the people who have, and there's one for the people who don't have. And we're struggling with that today.

And the president and I have a difference of opinion about how we live out our sense of our faith.

I talked about it earlier when I talked about the works and faith without works being dead.

I think we've got a lot more work to do. And as president, I will always respect everybody's right to practice religion as they choose -- or not to practice -- because that's part of America.


with faith in God and with conviction in the mission of America, I believe that we can reach higher. I believe we can do better.

I think the greatest possibilities of our country, our dreams and our hopes, are out there just waiting for us to grab onto them. And I ask you to embark on that journey with me.

I ask you for your trust. I ask you for your help. I ask you to allow me the privilege of leading this great nation of ours, of helping us to be stronger here at home and to be respected again in the world and, most of all, to be safer forever.

Thank you. Goodnight. And God bless the United States of America.



All in a day's work

1 Comments:

  • From Jimmy Akin:

    I'm watching the third presidential debate right now, and CBS moderator Bob Schieffer just raised the question of abortion. In answering the question, Sen. Kerry quoted the following from James 2:

    What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? . . . faith without deeds is dead (Jas. 2:14, 20).

    This was a dumb thing for several reaons. First, this passage was totally irrelevant to the question he was answering.

    Second, this is a flashpoint passage for Protestants, and quoted by a Catholic, it was guaranteed to send shivers up the spines of numerous Protestants in the audience (though many who would have the most strongly negative were not voting for Kerry already).

    Third, and most importantly, KERRY WAS OBLIVIOUS TO THE BITTER, HOWLING IRONY OF THIS PASSAGE AS APPLIED TO HIS OWN POSITION.

    Kerry has professed--as a matter of his personal faith--a belief in the humanity of the unborn and his personal opposition to abortion, yet he has REFUSED TO UNDERTAKE ANY DEEDS TO PROTECT THE UNBORN.

    Senator, faith without works IS dead. Your faith on this point INCLUDED.

    It is not enough to say to the unborn "Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body" (Jas. 2:16).

    One of the things that is "needful to the body" for the unborn is the legal protection NOT TO HAVE THEIR BODIES RIPPED APART BY AN ABORTIONIST.

    Senator, YOUR faith, without YOUR deeds on this point, is DEAD.

    What a shame, then, that it is left to a Texas Methodist (Sen. Kerry's opponent in the debate) to repeatedly quote John Paul II's phrase in saying that he supports "a culture of life."

    By Blogger David, at October 14, 2004 at 5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home